Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Kashmiri Dum Aloo

Have you ever tasted those lip lacking Aloo Dum from the Phuchka wallahs in Kolkata. Oh! they are so delicious. I recall when I was in school, I used to have this alu dom while coming back in school bus. I will save little money every day from what mom or dad used to give me. Then on Friday I will buy a good amount of aloo dum from the vendor and enjoy it throughout my bus journey.


 Few days back, I was googling around and was amazed to find that there are so many varieties of Dum aloo recipe in India. I think different state has their own way of presenting Dum Aloo.
Till now I have prepared only vegetarian dum aloo without onion and garlic and has succeeded in making that grand. So now I want to try my luck in making Kashmiri Dum Aloo.

I have tasted it numerous time in the wedding function I attended. The menu in such occasion will inevitably have this dish teamed with kulcha or nan or our favorite Radhavallabi. It will taste heavenly. So As I found that there are few baby potatoes in my basket, I thought of making this Authentic Kashmiri Dum Aloo.


Well to my surprise It came out really well. I was delighted when my hubby told that It taste exactly like the one served in the weddings. 

Sharing it here in my blog so that you can also prepare it and enjoy its beautiful taste. I must also mention that it is a very easy recipe and takes very less time.

Recipe: Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Cooking time :1 hr

Ingredients:

Baby Potatoes or normal Potatoes (Cut into halves): 500 gm
Curd (Whisked): 100 gm
Fennel Seeds - 1 Tablespoon
Cumin Seeds - 1 Tablespoon

Cardamom - 2-3
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Cloves - 3-4
Dry Red Chilies -2
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon(optional)
Kashmiri Red chili Powder - 1.5 Teaspoon
Coriander leaves - Chopped 


Method:

  • Boil the potatoes with skin and salt in a pressure cooker up to 1 whistle. Remove the Skin and fry it till golden brown color. Keep Aside.
  • Pour Curd in a bowl and whisk it till it becomes smooth and no lumps are there.
  • Dry roast fennel seeds and cumin seeds in a pan and then grind it to a fine powder. Keep aside.
  • Add oil in the kadai/wok and add the garam masala to it.
  • Once it splutters add the whisked curd and stir continuosly so that no lumps are formed.
  • Add turmeric, red chili ,mixture Powder and coriander powder and stir to mix it.
  • Add little salt and mix it.
  • As soon as the gravy boils and thickens add water to it. The gravy should be thick and not runny so add water as per preference.
  • Now put the fried potatoes and give a good mix.
  • Cover and cook for a while till the potatoes absorbs the masalas
  • Add sugar as per taste.
  • Taste the seasonings and if it is right add the chopped coriander and mix it generously.
  • Serve hot with paratha, kulcha or nan.

No comments: